Snow Ski and Board Sports
These requirements are basically a rewrite of the former
Skiing Belt Loop and Pin
To see the former requirements, which were in effect until September, 2002,
Complete these three requirements:
- Explain the conditioning, clothing, equipment, and planning needed for
snow skiing or boarding.
- Be able to explain safety and courtesy codes for a downhill or
- Go skiing or snow boarding. Demonstrate how to stop and turn.
Earn the Snow Ski and Board Sports belt loop, and complete five of the
- Explain the different kinds of ski lifts. Use one.
- Describe the four universal symbols used to indicate ski trail difficulty.
- Demonstrate how to hold your position, get up from a fall, and do basic
- Demonstrate how to fall safely to avoid injury.
- Demonstrate five cross country skills, such as a kick turn, diagonal
stride, double pole, side-step, step turn, herringbone, straight downhill
running, cross-country snowplow, sideslipping, pole drag, diagonal stride
uphill, and traverse.
- Participate in a game using skis or boards; such as relays, races, or
racing around poles or flags.
- Explain what to do if you see a skiing or snow boarding accident. Discuss
the dangers of avalanche.
- Take skiing or snow boarding lessons.
- View a film on skiing or snow boarding.
- Talk with a member of a ski patrol and learn about the job he or she does
at the ski slope.